Subscribe By Email

Subscribe below!

Monday, March 2, 2015

Bookslcub

According to Goodreads, I've read 23 books since my last post. At the time of the posting I was riding (and writing) on the train which was an OK thing to do on a train since I was on there four hours a day, four days a week and my other option was listening to people connect in an often meaningful way and wondering how does someone even start a conversation? Hmm if I look busy I won't feel like the social misfit I've felt like ever since the kids in preschool would butt in line on the slide and I'd be like I actually wasn't ready for the slide yet, anyway, thanks.

A lot has changed since then. I haven't ridden the train for about 8 months now. We live in a new place with some more room and a yard that needs some work. The town is a downgrade in the pizza department, huge upgrade in the authentic mexican taco department, and surrounded by good disc golf places. I still have conversations with myself in italics, though.

The big plus, though? The library.

Listen. Our old library is just a wonderful place that our kids will miss and remember for the rest of their lives. I have nothing but good things to say about that lovely building and its staff (and the addition looks great!). It's a small-town library in all the best ways. But a man has needs. And in this case those needs are only satisfied in raw square footage and a deep graphic novel shelf.

It wouldn't be a book club (and, to be fair, it isn't) if I didn't let everyone join in. So, just to catch you up, here's what I'll be talking about in subsequent posts. Read along if you like:

Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation - Blake J. Harris
One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories - B.J. Novak
The Sisters Brothers - Patrick deWitt
The Rehearsal - Eleanor Catton
The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton
Salvage the Bones - Jesmyn Ward
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Shouldn't You Be in School? - Lemony Snicket
The Long Goodbye - Raymond Chandler
The Screaming Staircase/The Whispering Skull - Jonathan Stroud
The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher: Hilary Mantel
Under the Bright Lights - Daniel Woodrell
Winter's Bone - Daniel Woodrell
The Thing About Luck - Cynthia Kadohata
Tomato Red - Daniel Woodrell
Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Frog Music - Emma Donaghue

Or don't. I'm not your dang boss. YET.