Subscribe By Email

Subscribe below!

Thursday, January 30, 2014

In which I divulge a secret

Hey guys, here's a thing I'm trying to fix about me. I'm sick of critiquing things negatively. I know, you're probably wondering what I even talk about anymore if I'm not telling you how much I don't like a movie I've never seen. I'm not sure what to do with myself either. Instead of tearing something apart, my new goal is to shrug and say, "eh, it wasn't for me."

That brings me to this situation. Of the books I've read recently there were a few that I really disliked. Part of the reason I didn't write for a while is how bad of a time I had reading these. Some I finished and some I didn't. Out of posterity, I'll list them and briefly explain why I wasn't into them but hey, you can read whatever you want and even love it. I'm not the boss of you. Yet.

MaddAddam
This is the third book in the MaddAddam trilogy and that should have been my first warning. I can't remember the last book I enjoyed that was billed as part of a trilogy. I literally can't. The best I can come up with is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy, which is six books. Anyway, I quite liked the first one, Oryx and Crake, but back then nobody was calling it a trilogy. I really disliked the second one, Year of the Flood, and MaddAddam totally didn't let me down in continuing what I considered a downward spiral. 

Every character I liked from the previous series is reduced to a shell in this one and the new ones are interchangeable and boring. It goes off on a tangent that I couldn't care less about and ends with everyone essentially doomed, even though I don't think that's what the author intended. 

Savages

This is the first book on the Esquire greatest books for dudes or whatever that article was called that I linked in my first post that I really hated. And man, did I want to like it. It's about two guys who run a small pot operation who get in a war with Mexican cartels. Seriously, this is so up my alley. But I didn't like the characters, didn't like the "hip" writing style, and thought the story was unrealistic and dumb.

Thanks for nothing, Esquire.

Ugh, there are a couple others that I didn't even finish and don't even want to talk about. Sorry. Ask me about them sometime.
.