Subscribe By Email

Subscribe below!

Friday, March 29, 2013

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

I just picked this one up at the library, so I haven't read it yet, but it's Fooling Houdini: Magicians, Mentalists, Math Geeks, and the Hidden Powers of the Mind, by Alex Stone.

It comes recommended by my cousin Casey, but just in case you've somehow never heard of the founder of Holy Fetch, your one-stop shop for busting or confirming Mormon myths, I'll back his recommendation up with a couple other hipsters you might have heard of.

I'm not always a sucker for blurbs, but when they're written by Steven Levitt of Freakonomics fame, Ira Glass, and John Hodgman? Well my lil' head perks right up.

I'm excited to read it. To quote myself in the comments of my last entry, almost everything I know about the magic industry is from The Prestige and Arrested Development. The writer left a PHD program in physics to become a magician, so he brings some science.

Anyway, let's read it, shall we? It's the perfect palate cleanser after all those hard drugs.